Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Strawberries

One of my favorite things to eat is strawberries. I am just a plain and simple kinda gal so I usually wash them and dip them in sugar and eat them! So very yummy but so not healthily =) But there are so may different ways to use strawberries here is a couple of my favorites. Also this time a years there are a lots of sales on strawberries due to Mothers Day and other holidays so hunt around for good deals. Safeway had them on sale for 2 for $3.00.


For all my local friends if you had the pleasure of eating at Taverna before it went out of business they had on their menu a salad called the Strawberry salad which my husband loved. He was very disappointed when the restaurant went out of business and the salad was no longer. We tried to replicate it a few times with no success however I was looking at my favorite coupon site which also post recipes once a week for things on salad and wouldn't ya know a recipe for strawberry salad! I made the salad and it was just like the restaurant and dare I say maybe better =) I have done some tweaking to it by adding more strawberries and less dressing more cheese and nuts because well its the best part and here you go one of the best salads you will ever eat!! Know I am not much of a meat eater but my husband likes chicken in his, I think just about any protein would be good but I liked it just plain and simple.











Strawberry Salad


1 romaine lettuce head
12 strawberries sliced
1 small apple cubed
1/2 cup feta cheese

1/2 cup Craisins

1/2 to 1 cup of toasted almonds ( I used slivered)





Poppy Seed Dressing

1/2 sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup white vinegar

1 cup of oil (whatever you cook with)
1 tablespoon of poppy seeds




In a large bowl add salad ingredients. In a small bowl: whisk sugar, salt, vinegar, oil and poppy seeds until well blended. Toss into salad mixture and enjoy!! (I gave you the whole dressing recipe, I made it put it in a shaker and added about half which was plenty for me but if you think it needs more you will have the reserve, also it will keep if you want to have it on another salad in the next few weeks)



















This is not my recipe but it was from the Krazy Coupon Lady's Krazy in the Kitchen




Strawberry Freezer Jam


4 cups of crushed strawberries

1 1/2 cups of sugar

1 package of freezer jam pectin (Ball is the best)
Jars, Lids and Rings
Mix sugar and pectin together. Add to crushed strawberries and stir for three minutes. Ladle into containers and let stand for 30 minutes then freeze and enjoy!



If you have never made jelly or jam this is a good way to start and practice. I will post my jelly recipes during the summer after I have some produce to make stuff! I know you are bubbling in anticipation =)








2 comments:

  1. Sorry this is so spread out tried to fix it like 10 times and it did not want to be fixed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had strawberry salads before and loved them too, but never attempted to make one. That must soon change. Thanks for showing me how easy they are. This may make it to our table for Christmas dinner, if I can get fresh strawberries. I'll add in spinach, just because I like it so much and it's SO green and looks great with the red strawberries.

    ReplyDelete